The Clean Teams will help keep the Borough clean and tidy with community litter picking events. A special resource pack has been created to help them carry out activities safely, as well as promote them in their local area. The Council can also help by lending litter picking equipment.
The Community Clean Team is part of the Council’s Clean and Green Campaign. As part of the campaign, £72,000 will be invested in new initiatives to complement and enhance existing programmes to keep Broxtowe clean and tidy. These include:
- Community litter picking events to complement existing events as part of the Community Clean Teams
- Additional litter picking around the A610
- Additional weed control in high priority areas
- Mobile CCTV cameras at flytipping hotspot areas
- Programme of ‘Waste Days’ to enable residents who do not live near household waste recycling sites to dispose of their bulky waste
- Litter bin replacement in areas where there is high footfall including main roads, twitchells, parks and bus stops
- Advertising clean and green initiatives on bin lorries to encourage community support
Chair of the Leisure and Environment Committee, Councillor Shane Easom said “This is all about us all doing our bit. We know there are lots of people out there who already pick litter and support our parks and open spaces to make sure they’re clean and tidy and we want to celebrate this, as well as attract new groups, organisations and businesses to do the same.
As well as the Community Clean Teams, we’ve also put together a programme of additional activities to help make it easier for people to dispose of bulky waste, recycle more, as well as keeping the natural environment clean and tidy.
Together with our Pride in Parks scheme to invest £500,000 in the Borough’s parks and open spaces over the next two year, this is a fantastic investment in the Borough to ensure we protect the environment for future generations.’’