News from Anna Soubry MP

Hello again,
Parliament has risen for the “conference season” which means I am able to devote all my time to working in the constituency.
Brexit continues to obsess most occupants of the Westminster bubble. Back in the real world I have little doubt most constituents are heartily fed up with all the squabbling, speculation and commentary and want us to “get on with it”.
But bear with me because the negotiations are the most important and complex in many decades and we must get it right for the sake of generations to come.
I very much hope that in her speech on Friday the Prime Minister will provide clarity on what we want by way of a transitional period and the eventual deal. The economy and jobs must come first, and although technically we have to leave the single market and customs union when we leave the EU in March 2019, I want us to keep de facto membership until such time as we have negotiated a final settlement.
Enough of Brexit! (though I hope you might read on to my various contributions in Parliament in the last few weeks). There’s a lot of other news.
As ever
Anna

A52 speed camera progress

Highways England have revealed details of their speed survey on the A52 from Sherwin/Bramcote roundabout to the QMC. Their work follows a campaign led by Bramcote resident Tony Smith following a number of accidents (including a double fatality in November of last year). Residents have been complaining that cars were racing, especially in the early hours, and the results prove what we all already knew!

Tony and I met Highways England and were told that based on the evidence speed reduction measures are necessary. Average speed cameras appear to be the solution and further assessments will be made. In the meantime Highways England continue to improve road safety notably on Sherwin roundabout.

We asked for better road markings and we got that. However ‘Stapleford’ was abbreviated to ‘STED’ not ‘STFD’ but thanks to Tony Smith and Bramcote Borough Councillor Martin Plackett Highways England quickly fixed the mistake!

More money for our schools

Earlier this year I wrote to the head teachers of all schools in Broxtowe asking them to send me their thoughts on the proposed changes to the National Funding Formula, which I then reported to the Government. At the time, a few schools looked to lose out as a result of the changes, however I am pleased that after considering our submissions to the consultation, the Government has rightly listened to concerns and that Broxtowe schools will now see an average 1.6% increase in funding, with some previously underfunded schools seeing up to 9% increase in funding per pupil.

Water Safety at Beeston Weir

Following the tragic death of Owen Jenkins at Beeston Weir in July, signs and a temporary barrier have been installed. Last week I attended Broxtowe Borough Council’s second meeting to improve safety at the Weir.

Life saving equipment will be installed very soon and we discussed permanent measures to dissuade people from going on to the Weir. We agreed to identify other open water sites that need similar safety measures in Broxtowe – on the Trent and at the Attenborough Nature reserve.

HS2 returns to Trowell

Almost 500 people attended another HS2 consultation at Trowell Village Hall yesterday. There is considerable opposition to a planned 60 feet high viaduct through the village to deliver the route. I have asked (again) for a scale model of the plans. HS2 assure me they are in listening mode and I have requested they look at all alternatives to the viaduct. I will continue to keep residents updated.

Pasture Road update

I paid an unannounced visit to Pasture Road in Stapleford where inconsiderate and dangerous parking by some businesses is blighting the lives of residents. Following my robust representations for vehicles to be removed from the verges, the situation has improved. No-one wants any business to move or close but all must act responsibly and there is an argument that some require more off-road parking facilities. To that end, the Chair of Broxtowe’s Jobs and Economy committee, Councillor Tony Harper, has visited all the businesses offering assistance. More action is planned and I will keep residents fully informed.

Multi faith civic service

Sunday’s civic service celebrated the election of Councillor Halimah Khaled MBE as Broxtowe’s Mayor with local leaders of the three great faiths – Islam, Judaism and Christianity. Halimah is our first Muslim Mayor and she is bringing people together to create a better understanding of faith and Islam in particular.

Boots visit

I visited Boots HQ and saw how their plans for the site are progressing. A new road will soon be completed which is critical to the construction of hundreds of new homes and dozens of businesses.

Opening of Beeston Library

Beeston Library has reopened after a £1 million refurbishment that sees the original entrance restored and in use. The abundance of books is striking along with some excellent community services and facilities.

No Library in Notts has closed since the 2008 financial crash which is a testament to the Conservative administrations at County Hall; the last Labour Council continued that policy so credit to both parties.
The new Conservative administration has pledged to continue invest another £1.4 million in our libraries next year

Moorgreen speeding update

I met representatives of Moorgreen Residents Association for a catchup on measures to stop speeding on Moorgreen and related roads. I believe we are making progress but we need more data which I hope Notts County Council will agree to gather.

The Old Church Tower, Bramcote

Bramcote Old Church Tower

Many congratulations to the Friends of Bramcote Old Church Tower Group who have secured over £360,000 of Heritage Lottery Funding to restore the Old Church Tower in Bramcote Village. I supported their application which will mean the 13th Century ‘sunken church’ will be saved and used by community for years to come.

Kimberley chapel open day

Kimberley Town Council have organised an open day at the Chapel on the Hill on Saturday (September 24th) from 10am until 2pm. It really is worth visiting this beautifully restored grade ll listed Chapel with fabulous panoramic views.

Beeston Station gets make over  Congratulations to everyone who took part in the Friends of Beeston Station (FOBS) community action day. Painting cleaning and a general tidy up were the order of the day and a great job was done. Please let me know if you would like to join FOBS.   I have made a formal request for a meeting with the Railways Minister as part of my campaign to improve access for all at Beeston Station. I will keep you informed of the outcome.

Bramcote’s future – have your say Bramcote Neighbourhood Forum have launched a consultation on their draft plan for the future of Bramcote. It is important that as many local residents have their say as possible before the closing date which is 20 October. You can access the full consultation online here:

Draft plans for Kimberley and Stapleford are also almost finished and their consultations will open shortly. I will keep you updated.

Bus services hit by tram The number of passengers using the No. 18 bus between Stapleford and Nottingham has fallen by 32% since the tram extension opened, according to Trent Barton. As a result the service has been cut to one an hour. Following complaints from constituents I met Trent Barton who explained why they cannot restore the half hourly service.
There will still be regular services from Stapleford into Nottingham via the i4 or 30 buses but that doesn’t help people in Beeston Rylands

Parliamentary work

NHS Pay I am very proud of four generations of Soubrys all of whom are working, or have worked, in the NHS. You can read my contribution to the recent debate in Hansard here or watch on Parliament TV here. The clock was against me so I ran out of time to say that Broxtowe’s GPs have increased spending on mental health services by 5.7% and our Clinical Commissioning Group (the CCG that comprises of our GPs and other local health workers) has seen an increase in funding of 2% this year.

The EU Withdrawal Bill and a meeting with the Prime Minister   Please do not believe everything you read in the papers! There is cross party agreement that as part of the process of leaving the EU (and to remind hard line Leavers I voted to start that process by voting for the triggering of Article 50) we need to move all existing EU laws, directives, regulations etc into British law. Accordingly, the Government has introduced the EU Withdrawal Bill. It is a complex and very important piece of legislation. I agree with its aims but not the means of delivery and in my opinion (and indeed a large number of MP’s – both so called Leavers and Remainers), it needs serious amendment. Labour agree with the aims of the Bill but, somewhat foolishly in my view, decided to vote against the second reading. Notable exceptions were Dennis Skinner who joined me in the lobby to vote for the next stage of the Bill. I and others have tabled various amendments to the Bill. You can see my contribution in Hansard here or on Parliament TV here.

This entry was posted in Updates from Politicians. Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to News from Anna Soubry MP

1. Donna MacRae says:

Pasture Road.

Having been the one who organised two public meetings with people on Pasture Road and also inviting business owners along too, I am very suprised that my Husband Councillor Richard MacRae has not been given any acknowledgment for all the hard work he has been doing to sort out the issues on Pasture Road. It is only more recently that anyone has started to help him now the problem is slowly getting somewhere. And at no time have any of the elected County Councillors attended any of these meetings or had anything to do with the problems along the area. It would be nice to know what they have done since they were both elected.

2. Howard Shakespeare says:

It is becoming increasing clear that the EU negotiators don’t understand what Brexit means. Brussels seem to think they will still be able to dictate to us when we leave the EU. They can’t and they won’t. An independent UK means that the EU will have no more significance to us than Japan, Brazil, Turkey, Thailand etc.
    A trade deal is becoming increasingly unlikely. So that means we use W.T.O. rules instead. That won’t be a problem to us now the pound is at a realistic level. But watch what happens in Europe, particularly to the German car industry.

Howard – A little reality check here for you – The EU requires us to leave by 31st March 2019. The EU is certainly not asking us to stay any longer. It is our government that is seeking some extension arrangement whereby we continue to abide by EU rules and pay into EU coffers but have no say in how the EU is run.

• Howard Shakespeare says:

Joan Wade – Not just our government, but also the Labour party. At least this week. But the Labour party changes its policy on the EU more often than Corbyn changes his socks.

If a trade deal with the EU is becoming increasingly unlikely, i do not understand why we continue to kow-tow to them and continue talking about donating £18billion, or whatever the figure is now. If you leave the club you don’t pay the subscription any longer. If we don’t pay for the dubious privilege of leaving the EU, what will the EU do about it? Take us to (the European) Court? Send in bailiffs? (they’ll need a passport)
      Boris had the right idea – tell ’em to go whistle, and put the ££billions we have all paid in taxes to better use for citizens of our own country.

• Barry Morrison says:

The biggest problem here is chief negotiator Mr Barnier..He’s making this personel and hoping for revenge against the UK for 2005 when he was a cabinet minister in the French government..The same year as UK elections when Tony Blair decided to include in the Labour party manifesto a referendum on The Constitution for Europe(a referendum which he never planned to hold and scrapped as soon as Labour won the election) which put pressure on the French government to hold a referendum because the word constitution would have necessitated referenda in eleven member states..The French and Dutch governments held a referendum and the French and Dutch voters rejected it..The French were made to hold another referendum and accepted it..The Dutch did’nt hold another referendum as the Dutch government had already said they would’nt recognise a no vote..Then the EU had to do something about the word constitution so they came up with The Lisbon Treaty which all member states including the UK duly signed..And which Labour MP Peter Hain described the Lisbon Treaty as just a tidying up exercise. I could go on but that’s enough for one day.

I couldn’t have put it better myself Howard. And Joan, the EU certainly do not want the UK to leave. Many of their markets involve us and this country has always been a net contributor to their finances. Seriously do you think that the UK, or any of the other member states (apart from Germany and France) have any say in how the EU is run. The EU is run by the EC by way of Directive, NOT by the European Parliament.

Well well Howard, you couldn’t stop yourself bringing politics into something that is far more important to this country than party politics could you. And there I was, thinking that at last you were going to discuss and reason rather than pontificating as you usually do.
      Personally I’d love to see Mrs May reach a common sense, firm, fair deal with Barnier but, alas, I feel that the man is not receptive to common sense. I’d also like to see her remain as PM at least until the next scheduled general election simply because a change in leadership of the country would put us at a serious disadvantage around the world.

The EU requires us to leave the EU by 31st march 2019..Both sides have been talking about a transition period for months now

No Barry they have not. This is something the UK side has raised in an effort to try and retain some of the existing trade advantages of being in the EU. EU negotiators want three matters resolved before they will even consider talk about other issues – the amount we are paying (suggestion is £100 billion plus ongoing annual payments), the rights of EU citizens, and the position re the land border in Ireland. They have expressed no desire to extend the deadline. We can of course walk away but then so too can the EU side. If we don’t meet commitments that we have entered into we may well see UK assets frozen in Europe including pensions to UK Citizens. If we don’t respect the rights of EU citizens we need to remember that there is a sizeable population of UK citizens n Europe – Do you really think that Spain will want to continue supporting and providing health care for UK pensioners? It has taken a several generations to bring peace to Northern Ireland.

EU citizens living in the UK will enjoy the same rights as UK citizens living in the UK. That has already been stated by HM Gov. So I ask why they should expect to be treated differently but apparently Tusk, Juncker, Verhasdoft and Barnier feel that they should be. Should UK citizens living within the EU be discriminated against the I would hope that HM Gov. would go to the European Court of Human Rights and get the matter dealt with.

As for pensions, are not EU employees paying into the equivalent of a Company pension scheme. If not, why not? The working UK expats will either be paying UK NI and Tax, or local equivalent. Most of those who have retired will (or should) be paying into a local health scheme as my neighbours in Spain do. The NHS has reciprocal arrangements with their EU equivalents that treatment will be carried out and then the cost reimbursed by the persons home health authority.

Northern Ireland and peace. It is the politicians of Sinn Fein (in particular) and the DUP and other parties who are putting the accord in jeopardy, not the citizens (in the main) of NI and Eire and certainly not the EU.

Joan, if you wish to be a citizen of a large, undemocratic country with counties (or regions) named Spain, Italy, Greece etc then I suggest that you sell up and leave. I hear that Germany in particular is looking for immigrants although personally I’d go to live in France or Italy.

• Barry Morrison says:

It’s no secret that many EU member states prefer a transition period mainly for their own benefit.. Now that the clock is ticking and only about 17 months left for negotiations many members feel that a transition period will be good for all concerned..And many departments in the Brussels machine feel the same way

Just acquaint yourself with the Treaty of Vienna in 1961..Forced repatriation among member states was outlawed back then..This was carried and adopted into EU law in the 90’s which means it superceded all member states national law and Teresa May has already stated that she isn’t going to repeal EU laws so where’s the problem regarding EU citizens in the UK and UK citizens in the EU?

• Barry Morrison says:

I’ll tell you where the problem is..Tusk..Juncker..Verhadstof and Micheal Barnier are trying their hardest to make it difficult for the UK to leave the EU..The message is to other countries. ”Don’t do it or we will punish you”…Because they know the whole lot is gonna fail eventually..And by the way..The European Health Insurance has apparently already been agreed and settled. And do you really think people living in Spain, Italy, Greece, Portugal and the Canary Islands are gonna have their pensions refused?. Of course they’re not..These people living in these countries pay tax at the local rate and contribute heavily to the local economy so let’s have no more of the scare stories about Spain etc and stop believing what The Guardian says.

5. MikeH says:

Barry, perhaps you can explain why we need to consider EU officials are such a problem when they are simply defending the institution they believe in. These officials did not create our national debt, sell off our utilities or, cause our banking crisis, they are not the reason we haven’t won the World Cup for 51 years, they are not cause of our housing shortage, nor did they water down building regulation of social housing and they did not ask us to leave the EU. I rather suspect that these things happened because we have had successive governments that have failed to manage our country effectively. Our current government shows no signs that it has a rich portfolio of solutions to our problems either. It doesn’t seem aware that climate change is inevitable, population growth at the current rate is unsustainable, debt mountains end in economic depression, energy supplies are finite, air pollution kills babies, trade agreements are only useful when you have something to trade….. it would be heartening if instead of insulting and scapegoating our neighbours we gave some thought to how we are to provide a worthwhile future for our grandchildren. Over to you..what are our plans in this regard?

• Barry Morrison says:

And as for the following quote by Joan Wade..” those you want as your new leader”. Please tell me where I said that

I did’nt say they were responsible for anything you mentioned except to say that they are trying to make things as difficult as possible for the UK and trying to frighten other nations not to want to leave.

7. MikeH says:

And I was agreeing with that plus simply saying (or obviously not very simply) that our current ills are our own fault for electing governments that have pursued policies that have landed us in irrecoverable debt, without the capacity to adequately fund a heath service, with most of our industry in foreign hands, with insufficient housing, that squabbles amongst itself and with no idea of how the rosy future to which it aspires is to be achieved. And that blaming EU membership or EU officials for this gets us nowhere because we did it all by ourselves!

Very good points Mike and I agree that our problems are of our (or our successive governments) own making. All my posts have been about Messrs Tusk, Juncker, Verhadstoft and Barnier and their seemingly intransigent attitude towards proposals made by UK negotiators and PM Teresa May. They accuse our negotiators of not moving far enough yet they don’t seem to want to move at all and just to highlight my points it seems that Hans-Olaf Henkel,German MEP and deputy head of European Parliaments industry, research and energy feels the same as he’s gone on record as accusing Verhadstoft, Juncker and Barnier of trying to punish the UK for having the temerity to do something unthinkable and vote to leave the EU.

The point you have failed to grasp Barry is that the negotiating position of the EU has been set by national governments. They have determined that the rights of their citizens, the Irish border issue and the question of the Brexit payments should be settled before any trade deal is cut with the UK. Those national governments will have determined that these issues are the ones that their citizens regard as most important and they are almost certainly right in that detremination. The EU negotiators are not empowered to ride over the will of the people

Wrong yet again Joan. The very nature of the EU denies national governments any decision making responsibility towards the EU. The only people who set the negotiating position are the Commissioners and the Presidents. The national governments will get a chance to agree or not at the end of the process.

Ian – There are lots of very readable and straightforward guides out there that will help explain to you how the EU works.

I know how the EU “works” Joan. Which is why I decided to leave.

And you seriously believe that? .To quote you ”Those national governments will have determined that these issues are the ones that their citizens regard as most important”..Take the blinkers off..This is Barnier playing hardball..He, Junckers, Verhadstoft and Tusk have no more interest in what EU citizens think than I have interest in the EU

Barry – We have a choice. We can either approach our European partners in a spirit of friendship and respect or we can call them “the enemy” as Philip Hammond has done. However, you need to remember that it is the UK negotiators that are seeking to retain much of the benefit of EU membership. Those you are seeking to insult have the upper hand and could simply turn round to us and say Brexit means Brexit. Indeed it looks increasingly likely that this is what will happen.

Really stupid thing for Phil Hammond to say but that does’nt account for the intransigence of Barnier etc and I’m not seeking to insult anyone..All I’m saying are facts

11. MikeH says:

I suggest Joan is right. Consider…that the only way we make money to spend on anything is by selling goods and services (these have to be things our customers want, and they have to be better than our competitors, and we have to persuade our customers of this). A good number of our customers live in the EU. Being objectionable to customers is a very odd sales approach. One I don’t think will be very effective.

You don’t seem to realise that Michele Barnier is on a personal revenge mission here. In 2005 Michele Barnier was a cabinet minister in the French government. There was a ”Constitution for Europe (note the word constitution for future reference) floating around at the time which would have necessitated referenda in the 11 member states of the EU. Never let it be said that the EU like referendum (which actually means that ordinary voters get a say). 2005 was also election year in the UK and Tony Blair decided to add to the Labour party manifesto a p ledge to hold a referendum on aforesaid constitution. (A referendum which he never intended to hold). It put pressure on France to hold a referendum which they did and the French voters rejected it. They were duly ordered to hold a second referendum which they accepted after a few dangled carrots. Meanwhile, the Dutch held a referendum on the same constitution and rejected it but they were’nt made to vote again as the Dutch government had already said they would’nt recognise a no vote. So then the EU brains had to organise something that would not mean ordinary people having a say so they came up with the Lisbon Treaty. (Treaty, unlike constitution) would not require referenda. Do you get my drift?

13. MikeH says:

I apologize to BramcoteToday users for carrying on what seems like a personal debate with Barry and I will understand if our moderator spikes any further contributions… however, in case our moderator is feeling lenient…..
    Barry. I think there is a need to separate concerns in this conversation. Firstly I guess we both want particular outcomes from the negotiation with the EU and that our views of what we would like these outcomes to be are wildly different. Then there is the concern of how best to achieve the outcomes we would like. I have been banging on about the latter. Best I think if each side has specifies the outcomes it seeks in terms that answer the ‘what’ ‘how’ ‘when’ and ‘who’ questions. Negotiators may well find they agree on some outcomes. One such that would benefit the EU and GB equally might be that the integrated supply-chains that deliver of our food and industrial product should continue to operate without any increase in overhead cost or delay. There will be others on which we cannot agree; border control is no doubt one such (mind you I’m not aware of much clarity on the ‘what, how, who, when’ of this issue) . In my view reaching an agreement won’t be facilitated by vilifying a fellow negotiator.or by attributing motives they may or may not have.

OK Mike. I agree that we need (and hopefully will get) an agreement which suits both sides once they start talking properly and sensibly which they should start doing anytime soon..That said, hopefully this will be my last comment on the issue.
    Thanks to all for your patience