What Does Labour’s Manifesto Say?

Nick Palmer writes: It’s here: http://www.labour.org.uk/index.php/manifesto2017

I’ll leave you to decide for yourself and compare with the Tory manifesto on Thursday, but do read it. It’s the kind of programme that made me join Labour, and a breath of fresh air in our stale political climate. If you vote for it, regardless of the overall outcom you’re voting for genuine renewal in Bitish politics.

And that’s not before time.

Best wishes

Nick

See Labour Manifesto 2017Funding Britain’s Future and Labour’s Tax Transparency and Enforcement Programme

This entry was posted in General Election 2017, Updates from Politicians. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to What Does Labour’s Manifesto Say?

1. In my personal blog, I have written this morning about the Labour manifesto:

GE17 manifesto musings: Labour’s ‘For the Many, Not the Few’ https://paulnathanail.wordpress.com/2017/05/17/what-does-the-labour-manifesto-have-to-say-about-land-use-and-spatial-planning/ … and a few other things too.

• Pat Ratcliffe says:

Hi Paul
      I would have thought you’d be supportive of a Labour manifesto PROMISE to prioritise brownfield sites, but I don’t see this in your blog.

• Hi Patrick – it was meant as a commentary and a reflection not an endorsement or a critique.
        But since you ask, yes it is good to see a promise to put brownfield first. Something which has not been the case in recent years as we can see all too well in Beeston town centre.
        We also need – as the select committee on Environment said last year – a better definition of ‘brownfield’ than the one we have at the moment in the National Planning Policy Framework.
        And we need a recognition that brownfields in the green belt are not the first place to build new houses on.
        Now to reading the next manifesto…

cheers

Paul

• The promise that really intrigued me was the LAND TAX – not sure what was intended there but if it was to charge council tax on land with planning permission for housing AS IF THAT HOUSING WAS ALREADY BUILT could mean we would reduce the delay between planning permission being granted (and the associated uplift in price) and building starting.
        If any Labour officials/ candidates have any more details on that please do let me know.

2. Joan Wade says:

There is some interesting stuff in the labour manifesto but with the promise of a free vote on fox hunting, unpaid time off without pay for people to care for relatives and the prospect of a very hard Brexit I can’t help but feel that the Conservatives have transcended traditional politics. Certainly the media are predicting a Conservative landslide

• Pat Ratcliffe says:

Hi Joan,
      I’m surprised at you. And very disappointed. I expected better.
      I think you’ve missed out / forgotten the very best bribe (sorry, promise) to get our votes and that is all the new houses that councils will build for social rental, which will then be sold back, at a reduced rate, that is if any are built at all. But of course there’s no extra money to pay for this. Smacks of a new round of Thatcher’s bribes.
      Very much for the few and not the many in real need. Typical Tory.

3. Andy Cooper says:

A fantastic Labour manifesto. Not since Harold Wilson’s government have we had a SOCIALIST agenda.

Agreed, but it’s unaffordable and represents lousy timing.
      Brave (or foolish?) of Corbyn for trying.
      But Labour won’t win, everyone knows this.

4. Joan Wade says:

I hear today on the BBC today that the Conservative manifesto is taking a tough line on pensioner benefits – ending of the triple lock on pensions, means testing of winter fuel allowances and care allowances etc. This will be welcome news to those who feel that this group in society has not taken an active part in the austerity agenda.

Joan – that’s such an incendiary comment. This country neither respects nor cares for our elderly people enough – fact. It’s so different to some other countries where old folk are held in high esteem and looked after in their failing years.
      I really despair.

RichHartman – What is Conservative party thinking on these proposed cuts if it is not as I have outlined?

I’ve now familiarised myself with all three main pary manifesto’s and not one of them gives me the slightest inclination to cast my vote in any other direction that where it was previously cast.