Response to petition for traffic enforcement on A52

Tony Smith’s petition will be presented to Parliament.

The Department for Transport have responded to Bramcote campaigner Tony Smith’s petition calling for traffic enforcement measures along the A52 in Bramcote and Beeston. Broxtowe MP Anna Soubry presented Tony’s petition of over 1600 signatures to Parliament in February.

In the response, Minister John Hayes confirmed that Highways England are reviewing the road and agreed to write to Highways England:

“The Department for Transport would like to thank the petitioners for taking this positive action to bring this matter to its attention and the Minister will write to Highways England to make it aware of the concerns of Parliament.”

Since Anna Soubry presented Tony Smith’s petition there have been other serious accidents along the A52 and Highways England have said they are carrying out a full investigation, including speed surveys and collision studies.

In March during Transport Questions in the House of Commons, Anna Soubry also called for the Minister for Transport to meet with Tony Smith to discuss his campaign to stop dangerous speeding on the A52. The Minister agreed and this will happen after the General Election on June 8th.

About Sue Sambells

Editor of Bramcote Today. Trustee of Nottinghamshire Neighbourhood Watch. Lead Coordinator for RVR, Bramcote - Neighbourhood Watch Scheme
This entry was posted in A52. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Response to petition for traffic enforcement on A52

1. Why does it take a private petition to prompt the highways authority to take action on a road they manage?

2. alan beale says:

Yesterday an excellent speed warning sign was put up on Thoresby Road – just yards from the A52 junction.
    Can we have these signs put up asp on Derby Road please.

Yes I saw those Alan. I got on the phone straight away to Highways England.

It would be interesting to know how many of those 1600+ signatures actually live on the stretch of road concerned and how many just signed because they hoped it might result in a limit reduction to 30mph or less. For the record, I DO support the setting up of (average speed) ANPR and red light cameras on this stretch of road. I would also support the provision of warning signs that lit up with the licence number to give people a chance to safely moderate their speed a distance BEFORE the camera recorded their details. The latter was in operation on the M1 some time ago.

• Pat Ratcliffe says:

What is it that you don’t support, Ian?
      I know you support red light cameras, presumably on pedestrian crossings as well as roundabouts and T junctions. So do you object to cameras that can check a motorist’s speed (40 on that road) and ascertain the legal owner of the speeding vehicle so as to punish the driver and protect the public?
      I really would like to be clear on what you object to.

I object to the opinion that you, and many other people, have that speed only cameras are the answer to the atrocious driving that I, and I suspect you, see and hear about everyday on Britains roads. I object that the motorist is being used as a cash cow now that it has been admitted that Councils depend on a lot of the revenue from speed cameras. I object to the fact that no investigations are carried out to check if offenders caught by speed cameras are properly licensed, insured, MOT and taxed (information provided by relevant authority in response to written request by MP Nick Palmer). I think that it was you (apologies if it wasn’t) that in a post in another forum described motorists as ‘arrogant’. I’ve tried in my posts to emphasise that the answer to excess speed isn’t by installing more revenue producing cameras and that there are just as important things that need to be done on the roads.
        Finally, I object to the fact that you couldn’t be bothered to read what I wrote before going off half cocked at me. I quote ” For the record, I DO support the setting up of (average speed) ANPR and red light cameras on this stretch of road.
        I await your reply, if you have one, with not a lot of interest.

5. Pat Ratcliffe says:

Firstly, Ian, I did take the effort to read you comment carefully,, and acknowledged that you support red light cameras.
    Secondly, I was asking for a rational and polite reply on your position on the only attempt that I know of recently to prevent further deaths by speeding and thoughtless motorists on the A52. Sadly I seem to have touched a raw nerve. I have no memory of thinking or writing that I support the ‘cash-cow’ view of speed cameras. Rather I would also like to see those who speed, and put other people’s lives at risk, and break the law by having no license, insurance, road tax or M.O.T. dealt with by the courts and removed from the roads.
    I’m still not sure what you think, apart from the fact that you are very angry, and treat honest folk with an unjustifiable degree of contempt.

Pat, Indeed I am very annoyed that it seems to be the general opinion that if speed limits are rigorously enforced then, as if by magic, driving standards will improve and accidents will reduce, when of course we know that will not be the case.
    I am very angry that that nothing is done to ensure that speeding motorists are driving legally. You say that in a nutshell you agree with that statement, yet you still ignored the fact that I am in favour of ANPR cameras. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve seen people racing up the A52 of an afternoon. Initially in my mirrors and then as they passed me, one of them was driving a blue Subaru, the other a BMW and I was hoping that there was a Police officer with a hand held gun to reel them in, as they were weaving around traffic and at least double the limit. They did stop (very quickly) at the Thoresby road lights to give them their due. I also feel that this country’s speed limits need a severe overhaul. Many are too high in residential areas, and many are too low particularly on motorways. Sensible limits with good enforcement is the answer. I’m not talking about 2 or 3 mph up, I’m talking plus 5mph for training and 10mph (or more) for severe slapping, points and bans.

Pat, you and I seem to be actually reading from the same hymn book, but different versions.