Moor Lane Traffic

Ian Hampton writes: Just want to highlight the problems we will face when the Bramcote School moves sites in September.

This morning it took 5 minutes to clear the hard frost from the windscreen on my car at the top of the drive and 15 minutes to reverse out onto Moor Lane at the bottom of my drive. Grid lock only cleared by the proactive taxi driver getting out and directing traffic. Good man.

Obviously, with all traffic (and drop offs) for the secondary school moving to the Moor Lane entrance there will be extra traffic in the future. This will add to everyone’s inconvenience, but much more importantly and as mentioned to the school and to Broxtowe Borough Council by me previously, there will be additional danger to children crossing the road (as the vast majority do). It is already a major problem as many drivers are more interested in grabbing parking spots or dashing into gaps to make their way to or from the area than looking out for those walking to school. Indicators seemingly an optional extra not paid for when purchasing the car. Highway code is also ‘old hat’ apparently. My feeling is that no-one will take any notice until a child is injured.

Many thanks for publicising this issue.

Ian Hampton
Moor Lane resident and concerned parent.

This entry was posted in Schools. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Moor Lane Traffic

1. Fred R says:

Hmm. You’re right to be concerned. Whenever I go down Moor Lane on my bike I’m struck (metaphorically!) by the school run traffic on there, and the irony that so many parents take their offspring to/from school in the car because they fear the danger the kiddies will be exposed to outside, the result being that school run traffic generates the very danger that they’re trying to protect their kids from. D’OH!!

I’m not sure what the solution might be. Perhaps parking could be made residents-only, but then there’d be an outcry from parent drivers and the problem would be shifted to other side roads. I’m sure that the school is already encouraging parents to let the wee devils walk or cycle to school but that’s likely falling on deaf ears.

2. Sue Sambells says:

I have contacted Cllr Stan Heptinstall and he has commented:
    My take on the ongoing problems on Moor Lane is that they are largely caused by the parents of primary school children, so I really don’t think the school move will make a lot of difference. We did get the police to attend to deal with traffic problems in the past but they were only able to do this on rare occasions and the action was probably quite ineffective in the longer time scale. The county has done a lot to try to reduce inappropriate parking and increase safety in the most sensitive locations (primary school entrance and corner of Deans Croft) but there really isn’t much more than they can do. They have also placed 20 mph limits on the school approaches. There has been some discussion on creation of off street parking but this has never happened. Perhaps this could be considered on the school/leisure area that was proposed by officers at Broxtowe recently, as part of their consideration of the release of more land for housing in the Bramcote area.
    Stan

3. Judith Nathanail says:

Grid lock on Moor Lane happens intermittently – if you are caught up in it it is a bad start to the day. It is caused by parking on both sides of the road, the road becomes single track, people feel they ‘need to get through while they can’, so no one will give way. Deans Croft is a particular bottleneck.

The primary school has written to parents in the past, and voluntary respect for sensible parking is always desirable. But when people see ‘everyone else parking’ it is tempting to think – ‘5 minutes wont matter’. When everyone thinks that grid lock always a risk.

There are things the county could do to encourage sensible parking. eg make it ‘no parking’ on Deans Croft and on the adjacent roads (Moor Lane and Arundel) by the Dean’s Croft junction; from 08.30-09.30. Put up cameras and fine those who park. People will then amend their habits and everyone can get to work on time. Plan to have flexibility in the system to tweak it as you see how it works.

Everyone has places to go and sometimes you need to leave your house at 08.45. On Tuesday, some people couldn’t even get off their drive ways!

Some of us Judith have to get children to school before 09:00. In our case it is a Granddaughter not yet 5 yrs old, whose parents both work and whose work patterns require them to start at 07:00 regularly. During the spring, summer and autumn we try not to park on Moor Lane and when its fine walk to school. However during the winter months when it’s at or below freezing with a stiff breeze or when it’s bucketing down we are not prepared to put our granddaughters health and comfort at risk (I can remember sitting all day in damp clothes in a classroom heated by a solitary coke burning stove at one end. Not at all pleasant and hardly conducive to learning). So whilst I sympathise as I live on a different, but narrower school road, trying to ban parking on your road is a non starter. Try leaving perhaps 15 minutes earlier, you may find that it will work wonders with getting to work, or wherever you are going.

• Ian Hampton says:

In this particular case I could not leave 15 minutes earlier as I had two children to get to the primary school, then return to the house and leave in the car to get my eldest son to college.

You are missing the point about the safety of children it seems. My assertion is that it is already a problem and the secondary school move in September will make it worse with more traffic and more children. I’m not sure why Stan thinks this will not make much difference when it is already apparent that any small increase in traffic (usually because of the weather) causes gridlock.

Banning parking is perfectly reasonable if a traffic accident involving a pedestrian is likely. Its why we have special parking restrictions directly outside schools. It is an adult’s convenience and children’s safety balancing act and I know which way I’d like to see the scales weighted.

You do realise I hope Ian Hampton, that a road that is congested and narrowed by parked vehicles especially if they aren’t parked on the pavement, makes the traffic slow down enormously thus ensuring that people who come into collision (perish the thought) with a moving vehicle are less likely to be injured. Hence the reason for lowering the limit on some roads from 30 to 20.
        The reason for the zig zag lines outside schools is to try to ensure that drivers can easily see any children exiting the school, plus where there is a pedestrian only gate there are railings installed to stop the children from charging out onto the road. Not only do drivers have to keep their wits about them (as required by the RTA) whilst near schools, parents have a duty of care to control their children both for the sake of the children and also for the sake of other road users. Likewise adults have a duty of care to themselves and to other road users when they wish to leave the pavement. Unlike many cyclists, most vehicle drivers stop at red lights, the cyclists blithely ride straight through. What would you say if one of your children was hit, and injured, by a cyclist especially, as is likely, they just remounted and rode off.

As for your son at college, can he not walk there, or cycle or even catch the bus?

No Ian Hampton I am NOT missing the point about childrens safety. I agree with Stan, it’s unlikely to make much, if any, difference.

• Fred R says:

“Unlike many cyclists, most vehicle drivers stop at red lights, the cyclists blithely ride straight through.” Ah, now why did you have to put that pointless throwaway accusation into an otherwise reasonable if sharp post? I can cite scads of times when vehicles in Nottingham have whistled through red lights, and a half-ton of metal at 30mph is a worse hit than 100kg of bike and rider at 10mph. Just try, for instance, the pelican crossing at Wollaton Park gates on the A52, and you’ve at least a 1 in 4 chance of seeing red light being run. I saw one doing so at another pelican on the A52 only on Saturday, and have a backup witness. Irresponsible *road users* (bikes, motorbikes, cars, vans, wagons, stegosaurus riders) run red lights in the city, and it is a problem that needs addressing. Stereotyping one group of users is wrong (factually and morally), counterproductive, and markedly unhelpful.

Please stay on-topic as the Moor Lane thing is a problem which needs a reasonable, cool-headed, evidence-based resolution.

• Ian Hanoton says:

Ian B, I am afraid that not all children walk to school with adults. I would guess most older than 10 are ‘allowed’ to walk to school on their own. In fact, as parents we are often encouraged to promote independence for our charges. However, children seem to sometimes act like children, especially when other children are around. Some of them will not exercise as much caution as we would like. Thus they do not always cross the road as diligently as we teach them. Of particular concern is catching up with friends and other social interaction that distracts them from their safety. Priorities eh? Teenagers seem to act like teenagers.

The traffic may be slowed in general by the parked cars, but it also obscures drivers view of children (noted to be often being shorter than adults in my experience) attempting to cross the road and there are a fair number of drivers that want to suddenly speed up to dash into the next space further up the road, their eyes more attuned to opportunities to make another few yards (or more desirably a cherished parking slot).

I agree wholeheartedly about drivers’ duty of care, but unfortunately they do not always exercise it, and in this case they are not the ones who will be injured.

Perhaps its my previous experience of having been potentially sued for knocking down one of the children at my own school where I taught, who had suddenly run out in front of my car as I went over a prominent speed bump at less than 10 mph that colours my point of view on this. Or may be it is the number of near misses I saw as children suddenly ran into the road from amongst the parked cars on both sides of the street when I was on duty outside the school. All of these of no fault by the driver.

My son does usually catch the bus to college, but on this particular morning he was late as he had been ill for several days. Its funny how sometimes people are late. Ordinarily we would leave at 8 30 if I was giving him a lift, but as my wife was ill I had to get the younger children to school. Its funny how sometimes people are ill.

I fully applaud your efforts to walk your granddaughter to school rather than park on Moor Lane. Good call. As my wife comes from northern Ontario (where it is regularly -30C and is sometimes -40C without any windchill) I can attest that little ones need wrapping up in appropriate clothing when outside playing or walking in the winter.

I have never allowed any child in my class sit in damp clothes and there is a minimum temperature for classrooms. If you are concerned that this might happen you should talk to the teachers, they have a duty of care.

Logic would seem to suggest that more traffic and more children on the same street, that is already a concern, will make a difference to safety.

I’m not sure what the answer is (timed parking restrictions on Deans Croft are a possible solution, but might have unintended knock on effects elsewhere) but I do think the authorities should be taking it more seriously. They have a duty of care.

“I am afraid that not all children walk to school with adults.” In such cases the parents are obviously happy about the ability of their childrens relationship with the roads.

Timed restrictions on Deans Croft would have a markedly improved effect in people trying to get off/on Moor Lane, which would mean more cars parking on it nearer to the A52.

Just making the point Fred R that there are other road users that need to slow down, take extra care etc when in the vicinity of schools.

“I saw one doing so at another pelican on the A52 only on Saturday, and have a backup witness.” Have you reported it to the police?.

Reference getting off your driveway. Parking in such a manner to prevent people from using their drives is an offence. Ask the council to send a parking warden as the police no longer issue tickets for parking offences.

Ian – is it right that council parking wardens (‘civil enforcement’) can issue tickets in these circumstances? It’s not a car park and if there are no yellow lines I thought it was just down to the highway code; and also that obstruction is a police matter even if they choose not to act on it these days. Perhaps someone from the council parking services, or a PCSO, could advise?

Thats what I understood from the police. The wardens can issue a ticket if people are carelessly or dangerously parked. Obstruction is a police matter if its not moved at your request from in front of your drive. Mind you, its always possible that you can get the offending vehicle towed away. That would make their eyes water. IMHO tickets should be issued to all those who park half, or more, on the pavement. The parking on the pavement is a Civil matter, the driving onto the pavement to park is an offence under the Road Traffic Act. Speaking to some of the police at the Happening I was told that they would love to have the issuing of parking tickets for obstruction included in their remit.

• Ian Hampton says:

I couldn’t get off my driveway as the road was gridlocked, ie cars in a queue all along it.

As mentioned, it will only get worse.

Thankfully, the only people who park across my driveway now are drivers who stay in the car, that is they can move of when I reverse down.

4. Ian Hampton says:

Gridlock tends to happen (but not exclusively) when the weather is less clement than the previous few days. In other words when there is just a little extra traffic. If the only entrance to the secondary school is on Moor Lane that will inevitably lead to at least some more traffic at pinch points of the day.

I have no problem with a new school being built on the land opposite me where a school already exists, but I am appalled that there is no real apparent concern by someone in authority over the increased likelihood of a child getting hurt. No-one seems to have any drive to make changes in advance of the situation becoming worse…….until of course, they have to act retrospectively to address an issue after an event involving injury or death occurs.

5. Judith Nathanail says:

Hi Ian (Blakely) – I wasn’t suggesting no parking on my road; I was suggesting no parking (with cameras) on the bottleneck of Deans Croft and just beside that junction (ie close to it) on the adjacent roads). It is poor parking that is the issue and needs some control. Gridlock is just as bad for (grand)parents as it is for residents so we are all on the same side here.

Must say Judith that I agree about Deans Croft. I’m surprised how some of them managed to pass their test. The easy answer there instead of cameras would be to have time limited yellow lines between 08:30 and 09:15 and 14:30 to 15:30 Mon to Fri. Simple and cheap enforcement by way of a traffic warden visiting on random days at random times.

6. Claire Taylor says:

Parking issues around schools will not go away and I agree it will get worse around moor lane once the senior school reopens on the Bramcote hills site as not all those pupils will walk to school. As others have mentioned too, I find the most dangerous part is around the deans Croft/moor lane junction. A lot of the grid lock around this junction could be eradicated simply by extending the zig zag lines outside the school to just past deans Croft junction.
    As far as I know the primary and senior schools have always had a staggered finish time to help with the traffic issues and I assume this will still be the case when the school moves back.
    Out of interest does anyone know which route the school buses used to take to get back to the a52 (from the senior school) Do they go round Arundel or back down moor lane?

7. Judith Nathanail says:

I don’t know which route the school buses used to take to get back to the A52 – but I do know that the drivers were not always considerate – eg parking in front of Deans Croft in a manner which meant that you couldn’t turn the corner into Moor Lane (and then getting out of the bus and saying they were only going to be a minute). Even when parked reasonably, for some reason the buses left their engines on pumping diesel particulates in the air. I hope we are not going to have a return to that. How many school buses are coming to the school at the moment? Or has the problem gone away as children from outside the area are not being bused in?