Best practice whilst out shopping – as advised by Immobilise.
- Put cash and cards away safely (not in your back pocket) before leaving the till or cash machine. Try not to keep all your valuables in one place, especially your phone – Should your bag be lost/stolen at least you can still call for help!
- Use debit or credit cards where possible in place of cash, only withdraw what you need so you avoid carrying large amounts.
- Shield the keypad when typing your PIN when making payments or withdrawing cash. If you see anything suspicious alert the bank or call the police on 101.
- Don’t make it easy for thieves by hanging bags on chairs. If you’re having a well-earned break keep your bag and shopping in sight.
- Keep an eye on your phone, be wary of leaving it behind at tills, coffee shops or dropping it. Make sure the IMEI is registered on Immobilise! Simply dial *#06# to get its unique number.
- Avoid openly wearing expensive jewellery and watches in crowded/public places. Registering them with photographs and descriptions, plus details of any engraving will help identify them as yours.
- Park vigilantly in an open, well-lit area. Visit co.ukfor details of approved carparks (Park Mark is a Police Crime Prevention Initiative).
- If you must store presents in a car make sure they are out of view and that the car is securely locked. Receipts should be stored separately.
- Be vigilant – As always please remain alert and report suspicious activity to the police on 999 if a crime is in progress, 101 in a non-emergency or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.