Sherwin Island Bridge

Councillor Martin Plackett, Broxtowe Borough  Councillor for Bramcote Ward  writes:-   Following receipt of correspondence from Bramcote resident and joint Editor of Bramcote Today, Sue Sambells, regarding the Bridge, I again wrote to Highways England deploying the state of our Island Bridge, asking for its cleaning as soon as possible.   In response, they inform me that new maintenance contract arrangements ‘went live on the 1st July’ and ‘The Bridge cleaning we will be considering under the new contract’, promising to keep me updated. Certainly not very positive!

Bridge 11.3.16 2Bridge before screen

I have further responded that the cleaning is long overdue, providing photographic evidence, and asked for the work to be scheduled at the very earliest opportunity.   I have also asked Anna Soubry, Broxtowe’s M.P., to also write to Highways England, pressing our case.

More positively, following our June CAT meeting when it was suggested that the new ALDI store in Stapleford might be interested in a maintenance sponsorship for the Bridge, Highways England indicate they ‘will discuss the potential’ of such a proposition.

Explanation re screenThe above pictures show how the bridge looked when it was originally built and the photo on the right shows its current state of disrepair. The news article explains the reason fro added the screen.  Than you to local resident, Tony Smith, for bringing this to our attention.  If any residents currently living on Dudley Court or very nearby have any comments to make, we would most welcome them on this website and to Highways England – see details for contact below.

About Sue Sambells

Editor of Bramcote Today. Trustee of Nottinghamshire Neighbourhood Watch. Lead Coordinator for RVR, Bramcote - Neighbourhood Watch Scheme
This entry was posted in Sherwin Island. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Sherwin Island Bridge

1. Dr Allan Dodds says:

During the EU Referendum campaign the voteleavetakecontrol campaigners fly-posted the bridge several times over. In spite of my reporting this to the County Council and Highways England, nothing was done to remove the posters or placards, although some members of the public took the law into their own hands!

2. Steve Austin says:

Two comments from Briony Gwinnutt have already appeared on Bramcote Today’s Facebook page (the Site and Facebook page are linked so a post on Bramcote Today goes onto the Facebook page):

1. From a safety aspect, I cannot allow my two year old to hold the rail going up or down this bridge as it is filthy, pigeon poo covered steps from over hanging trees. In my life I have never seen this bridge in such a disgusting state, oh and the flower arrangement on the bank opposite has never been so poorly presented.

2. Another key issue that needs to be addressed is the safety rail on the side of the road as you come onto the island from Nottingham. This issue has been made aware to the relevant people but have yet to be addressed.

The above was forwarded by Councillor Martin Plackett to Paul Summers, Broxtowe Broough Council who replied:

There is little that Broxtowe can do with regards to the cleanliness of the pedestrian bridge over the A52 or the safety rail as the Highways Agency is responsible for these structures and both yours and Cllr Goolds efforts to arrange for their contractor to cleanse the bridge have met with difficulties.

Recent correspondence from their representative is a little more encouraging and it may yet be possible for them to arrange for their new contractor to undertake the required work .

With regards to the flower bed on the Borough of Broxtowe/ Bramcote Park site this has recently had the soil levels in the bed topped up as the soil tends to migrate downhill.

The bed has been planted with red and orange geraniums which as the summer develops will present an eye catching display- Geraniums tend to flower a little later than Marigolds etc. but in the long run provide all the qualities of a good bedding plant –longevity of flowering period, strong colours and repeat flowering ability.

Steve Woodward’s team will keep an eye on the site but I think with time it will produce a good result.

Councillor Martin Plackett also sent the comments to Kaur Rajinder, (Area 7), Highways England who replied:

Thank you for raising the concerns below. We have already exchanged emails about the bridge cleaning and as I stated in my email to you yesterday it is listed as one of the items for consideration under the new contract, I will keep you updated on the situation. The defect regarding the end guardrail has been raised and we have already logged an urgent task to get it removed.

3. Sue Sambells says:

Paul Summers, Broxtowe BC has responded to Ms Gwinnutt’s comment above, brought to his attention by Cllr Plackett:

Dear Cllr Plackett

In response to Ms Gwinnutt’s comments I would respond:

Regards

Paul Summers

4. Martin Plackett says:

Anna Soubry MP has today written to Rajinder Kaur at Highways England pressing for action to be taken to clean the Sherwin Island Bridge.
    Martin Plackett
    Cllr Bramcote Ward BBC

5. Tony Smith says:

Just a thought:- When the bridge was originally built, (1980)the screen was added as an afterthought, the reason being, to provide privacy to nearby housing. When built, there were very few mature trees around, however this is now not the case. Would it not be possible to remove this, as it not only provides an ideal canvass for Graffiti, but also shields the bridge from the cleaning effect of the weather. as well as acting as a roosting place for birds – hence the mess on the handrail. The bridge at Chilwell Comprehensive School does not suffer the same problems and this had no screen.

6. Cllr Martin Plackett Bramcote Ward BBC says:

A very interesting suggestion Tony. May I request you forward your comments directly to Highways Englend asking for their considered view.

Better idea Martin, you, as an elected representative who is in contact with H.E. put forward the case to remove the shield. Incidentally I think it’s a cracking idea. Last time I wrote to Highways Agency, A1+ and our MP about the Sherwin Island I was totally ignored.

• Sue Sambells says:

Martin, Tony sent a photo of the original bridge and you can view it in the comments for this post on our Facebook page.

• Tony Smith says:

E mail sent today (7/7/16) together with the reason for the screen originally – copy of Evening Post cutting from 7th March 1981.

While they’re at it could it possibly be levelled as it’s like a skating rink in the winter?

8. I have tried a different tactic and emailed M’s Kaur … a link to this very page.

9. Steve Austin says:

Rajinder Kaur (Area 7) Highways England has responded:

Dear Paul

Thank you for your email. I have a link to this website and look at it regularly. Please be assured we are looking into this matter.

Best Regards

Rajinder

10. Cllr Martin Plackett Bramcote Ward BBC says:

Ian, I have lost count how many times I have been in contact with H E THIS WEEK. I have indeed pressed Rajinder Kaur to consider Tony’s positive suggestion. Tony is also to respond directly as I have suggested. Important that Bramcote residents as well as our M P and myself underline the importance of this case, in particular the fact that it is a ‘health hazard.’. Despite no action date as yet being given all those who have contacted Rajinder have not been ignored, having received a response. My latest e-mail from her indicated that the work was discussed this week at a meeting held locally and that I will be ‘kept updated’

11. Sue Sambells says:

WordPress doesn’t allow for photos to be posted in the comments, unlike Facebook. I have edited this post to include a photo of how the bridge originally looked, and the newspaper article explaining the reason for adding the screen.

12. Tony Smith says:

I am pleased to say I have had a reply from Rajinder (Highways England) as follows:-
    Dear Tony
    Thank you for your email. I will discuss your suggestions with the new team who will be taking over the maintenance responsibilities of the bridge. Please be assured we are looking into the issues that have been raised about the cleaning of the bridge.

Best Regards