BREXIT – A Vote to Break up Britain!

Harry Houldsworth Writes: Our son lives and works in the Czech Republic and, like many young people, he is gutted by the Referendum result.

A large number of young voters are also known to have voted ‘remain’ and this needs some Government acknowledgement. In my view it is unthinkable that we will allow an older generation to sell out our young people.

Surveys of voters who voted Brexit will confirm that, for many people (young and old) the Referendum was nothing more than a classic mid-term protest vote – a response to many frustrations. And many people (including Boris) had no real expectation that we would actually leave the EU!

Yes, the British people have spoken. But when the Referendum was organised, nobody anticipated that the result could have dire consequences for the survival of the British Union.

Scotland has voted solidly to remain in the European Union, as has Northern Ireland. Their collective views cannot be ignored.

Given the results of the Referendum, the Scots will be well advised to go for independence, while the people of Northern Ireland (if they have any sense) will bury their differences with the South and form a United Ireland.

What should happen now?

We need to acknowledge the result of the Referendum, but the result needs to be declared as ‘too marginal’ to permit the break-up of the United Kingdom, as a consequence of a vote that had (officially) nothing to do with end of the British Union

I still think that there should be a “Confirmation Referendum”, to advertise that Brexit will result in the break-up of the United Kingdom. It could also carry with it with the promise of an early General Election.

Whatever happens, all politicians need to think very carefully, before they act.

Harry Houldsworth, Chilwell, 27 June 2016

This entry was posted in EU Referendum 2016. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to BREXIT – A Vote to Break up Britain!

“In my view it is unthinkable that we will allow an older generation to sell out our young people.”

In other words Harry, you are saying that my vote should not count as much as any other persons. Unless of course I voted to remain. Yet another case of sour grapes.

2. Mike Johnson says:

I quote this from the BBC web site – Mr Corbyn said the outcome of the referendum showed “many people feel disenfranchised and powerless”, saying communities had been “let down, not by the European Union but by the Tory government”. This indicates that as Harry states ‘Surveys of voters who voted Brexit will confirm that, for many people (young and old) the Referendum was nothing more than a classic mid-term protest vote – a response to many frustrations.’ Should this be a reason for voting to leave the European Union ?

I completely agree with everything you say and judging by my inbox, so do many people in Bramcote and Beeston North. Well said. Our younger generation is being let down.

4. Fred R says:

Well written. I feel angry, sad, frustrated and devastated for young people. Many have appeared on radio and TV saying that palefaced wrinklies, who had all the benefits of the boom years of the 60s, have stolen their future from them, which I agree with as a wrinkly myself. The young are entitled to feel extremely angry, and I doubt that they will ever forgive their ‘elders’ for acting so selfishly. I think it highly likely that there will be a brain drain of youngsters to Europe and beyond, with serious economic consequences for the rump UK. Those middle-aged Brexiters would do well to consider that it’s young people who’ll be paying their pensions when they retire…

Please tell me how our younger people have been let down. In what way?..Travel opportunities will still be there as they have been for years before we ever joined the EEC in 1972 as will opportunities to live and work in Europe, again as has been happening for decades, so where’s the probem.? And as for your comments about Scotland remaining in the EU..Forget it, it won’t happen.

My vote wasn’t a “classic mid term protest”, my vote was to leave an un-democratic club whose top people are un-elected and who brook absolutely no interference or criticism from the members. Same club doesn’t seem able to produce a budget or properly account for monies spent. It rules by ‘directive’ thus taking decisions away from sovereign governments, and overrules decisions taken by the highest courts of same countries. Is hellbent on expansion whatever the cost. Need I go on?

Notice, not one mention for or against immigration.