Bramcote Broxtowe Borough Councillor Martin Plackett forwards an e-mail he has received from Broxtowe’s Environment Director reporting on the recent work carried out by the Council on the Bramcote Island:
Dear Cllr Plackett
In response to your email, planned work was undertaken on Wednesday 30th March from 18.00hrs until 01.00hrs on 31st March. Works were undertaken with traffic management supplied by Aoneplus.
· Woody and herbaceous weeds were removed by hand
· The remaining annual and perennial weeds were treated with glyphosate a contact weed killer
· A residual herbicide was applied to the whole site and this will control germinating weeds for an extended period from 6 to 12 months
· The rubber mulch was tidied
· An area of grass on the A52 Derby bound carriageway was cut
· 6000 bulbs were planted ( Montbretia Species)
The site with on-going maintenance will develop and the bulbs will add a patch of colour from mid to late summer.
You will note that on the railings around the flower bed “Borough of Broxtowe” a sign has been fixed seeking sponsorship – to progress this initiative a meeting has been arranged with Nottingham City Councils “Franchise and Sponsorship,” team who have a wide range of contacts with local businesses who wish to promote their products and services and hopefully sponsorship for the site can be agreed – bringing some income – Tim Crawford (Business and Projects) will keep you posted on progress.