Election of Police and Crime Commissioner for Nottinghamshire 5 May 2016

Following the close of nominations, Allen Graham, the Police Area Returning Officer for Nottinghamshire, has received five valid nominations for the election of the next Police and Crime Commissioner for Nottinghamshire. Each of the candidates have submitted their nominations in accordance with the relevant legislation and the requirements contained within them.

The five candidates will be:

• Tony Bates – Independent
  • Tony Harper – The Conservative Party Candidate
  • Fran Loi – UK Independence Party (UKIP)
  • Paddy Tipping – Labour Party
  • Jason Bernard Zadrozny – Independent

Further information about the candidates will be available to voters on the PCC candidate information website from 13 April 2016. Alternatively, you can call 0800 1070708 to request a candidate booklet. Elections for the Nottinghamshire Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC) will take place on Thursday 5 May 2016. There is still time to register to vote if you are not already on the Electoral Register – if you are not on the Register, you will not be able to vote. Anyone who does need to register to vote should visit https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote with their National Insurance number to hand by Monday 18 April.

This entry was posted in Police and Crime Commissioner Election. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Election of Police and Crime Commissioner for Nottinghamshire 5 May 2016

1. Tony Bates says:

Good to see you spreading the word. The turnout last time was very low so let’s hope for an improvement on May 5th…voting for me would be even better!

2. Dave W says:

I wish we could vote for scrapping the position. Political management NOT required.

Increases in costs every year of 2% but still we lose PCSOs. Inflation < 1% ????

3. Richard Dinsdale says:

I always vote in all elections.
    But in this election, I really don’t know what I am voting for! For instance, what are the differentiators between each candidate? How does the backing and influence of a political party (for three candidates) influence the policies of that PCC? What are the achievements of the existing PCC in his term of office? How has policing benefited from his leadership?
    I don’t know the answers to any of these questions, so currently I would be making a random judgement through lack of knowledge. Perhaps the candidates aligned to political parties expect and hope that the electorate will vote on tribal lines, but why is this relevant for the PCC?

• Tony Harper says:

Hi Richard, I am the local candidate from Broxtowe where I am a councillor. I served for 36 years in the police (the only candidate to do so) so I do understand policing. You can stand as an independent but it does cost a lot of money plus you need helpers. The easy way is to be sponsored by a political party (I am sponsored by the conservatives) But if elected to office I have to sign a declaration of independence which strictly means I cannot be political. So whatever route you choose the end result is the same. I will leave you to judge the effectiveness of the current incumbent – questions you ned to ask are: How often do you see police officer?, What is their morale like? Why are police stations closing?. my policies are to protect and improve neighbourhood and response policing, prevent the fear of crime and improve support to victims of crime.. I hope this helps

4. Jason Zadrozny says:

Heartening to see so many people interested in local community matters. I’ve been working in north Broxtowe on these issues for over a decade. Hopefully the new PCC can bring about some real positive changes – the last election was very close so their could really be a change.

The information about all candidates can be found here: https://www.choosemypcc.org.uk/area/nottinghamshire

5. Tony Harper says:

I am a recently retired senior police officer and was born and bred in Nottinghamshire. Having served in the Police Force for 36 years, I have experience in virtually every aspect of policing. The reason I have decided to stand is because I am passionate about policing having invested the best years of my life into it. I have seen the calibre of candidates standing since inception. Most know so little about policing and are running the police force down they have cut police numbers and closed a lot of the police stations. They then whinge about government cuts when really the budget has been mis-spent. Police moral is at an all time low. Its time someone who understands and has experienced policing becomes the next PCC.

Tony – I fail to see what good has come of this (fairly) new PCC position. I would sooner see the money spent on real bobbies and real deterrents to crime. And I hope you mean ‘morale’ rather than ‘moral’, otherwise we really are in trouble.

• Tony Harper says:

Hi Rich,
        I have to say I did agree with all of your comments and was very sceptical when it was first introduced. I was a serving officer in the Police Federation at its inception therefore I could not take part in the election or publicly crtiscice it. I have to say now it has bedded in I think it is better than its predecessor, the Police Authority, which did not have directly elected members they were elected from elsewhere. At least now there is a direct election for this post. The PCC’s office cannot cost more than its predecessor the Police Authority.

• Tony Harper says:

I am also the only candidate living in Broxtowe

6. Fran Loi says:

It’s great to see local groups encouraging the public to take part and raise awareness. Some good points above too.

I understand that many people do not see the point in the PCC election or their role, after all, what do they actually do? The same can be said for Councillors and MP’s, it all depends on the person in the role, they can do with it what they will or in some cases, (not pointing anyone out) nothing at all.

The PCC role is a varied position that encompasses many skills, experience and knowledge. I will be honest with you, no one candidate has all the skills, experience or the knowledge to perform the role solely. That is why a team is required. This role requires knowledge of project management, financial planning & budgeting, understanding of policing, working with community groups, victim support, rehabilitation, (hate to say it, but some politics), senior management & human resources management experience.

I have experience working with the Police to tackle violent crime and disorder in city and town centres and of managing security teams, I’ve specialised in project management, turning organisation around during period of financial difficulties and holding senior management to account through various techniques of performance management. I have campaigned in the community on behalf of victim support and anti-bullying groups as a mixed martial arts Assistant Instructor.

I would be happy to answer any questions, just as any other candidate will be too.

I wonder what the hell is the point of electing a PPC..Is he going to put coppers back on the beat?
    Which to me years ago was always been the way the police have operated..

• Tony Harper says:

I have been a police officer for 36 years I understand the importance of bobbies on the beat I was one!! A visible presence prevents crime and reduces the Fear of Crime. It also allows for a quicker response in an emergency

• Barry Morrison says:

It’s all very well saying that Tony but does that mean there will be coppers back on the beat??. Because something happened round here on Saturday night which if 999 had been dialled might have been until the coppers could have seen to it…As it was it was dealt with swiftly by a resident imposing swift and immediate justice..Commonly called a smack in the mouth which deterred offending perpatrators from what they were intent on..Justice done eh,,That’s the way I look at things now.

8. Joan Wade says:

I would like to ask Fran and the other candidates what they will be able to do as PCC about this growing problem we have in Nottingham with these masked malcontents who demonstrate in Nottingham City Centre at weekends shouting out abuse and causing damage to council property.

• Fran Loi says:

Thank for directing the question to me, I remember this question from last year’s General Election. I hope you are not a plant like the case was last year.

I take it you are not interested in what they were shouting about.

Firstly, these “malcontents” as you put it, are an activist protest group, aligned with the Far Left or Ultra Left. They don’t like UKIP because despite not believing what they generally hear on BBC or Sky News, they choose to believe anything and every thing negative spoken about UKIP.

So they won’t be voting for me, more likely fans of Labour, if we actually had a real Labour party in Nottm city.

I do however, understand their right to free speech and right to protest. You said causing damage to council property, I believe you mean they drew on council property with chalk and they are being charged for it. As they were probably campaigning to expose the City Council’s part in allegedly covering up the abuse of child sexual abuse, I am surprised by your question.

The covering up of CSA is a long standing problem in this city, I have campaigned for years on this issue and am relieved we have the Goddard Inquiry coming here to investigate both councils and the police. I believe in openness and transparency and the city council in particular has a lot to answer for and have behaved appallingly to the survivors and victims.

I do not in any way condone the action of vandalism or damage to property and should an offence occur, they should be arrested and face prosecution for such offence. For using chalk that water washes off though? It’s hardly high up in the scale of crime, especially all of the demonstrations and protests could have been avoided in the first place, if the council did their job properly and effectively in the first place, the onus is on them.

I do hope you and all people, recognise and support the survivors and victims of child sexual abuse and recognise the council have failed the children that were under their personal care.

Please remember that any damage to council property that needs a team of people to clear it up is a significant cost to local taxpayers.

There is a big difference between free speech and lawful protest on the one hand and on the other dressing in masks and shouting abuse at the police and passers by and causing damage to property.

You claim that these people are linked to the left. Members of the public do not have to look too far on social media to see who they are supporting and endorsing in these PCC elections.

Yes protestors have jumped on board various issues such as homelessness but often used these issues in a way that as alienated those campaigners who have shown a long term interest in resolving such matters.

9. Joan Wade says:

People can watch a debate between the different candidates on Notts TV at the link below.

I watched the above. Personally I thought that Paddy Tipping was very, very “political” in his answers to questions. i.e. He didn’t seem to give a straight answer.