A dangerous cycle route in Beeston will be made immediately safer following an intervention by Anna Soubry, MP for Broxtowe.

At a meeting today Highways agreed to put up signs warning cyclists of the potential danger at an accident “black spot” on High/ Chilwell Road, Beeston.

“NET, Tramlink, Highways and the Police have agreed to an urgent review of all signage to keep the route safe for cyclists. They have promised new signs and clear markings for cyclists within two months” said Anna. “The Police and Highways agree that the current layout is dangerous to cyclists. I am very pleased immediate action is being taken”.

More than 30 cyclists have contacted Anna after suffering serious injuries on High/ Chilwell Road.

This entry was posted in Tram, Updates from Politicians. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Press Release from the Rt Hon Anna Soubry MP: Making Dangerous Cycle Route in Beeston Safer

1. stevebarber says:

Now no mention of the flangeway fillers which she previously claimed could be installed. I asked her for details but on that issue she suddenly became very silent.

2. Robin T says:

Anna spoke about these rubber fillers for the tram tracks a year before the tram was finished. In fact she said back then that they were going to be installed, but they never were.

• stevebarber says:

We started investigations 14 years ago and found no suitable system for Chilwell Road. I continually spoke to manufacturers and still are. There may be a breakthrough but the system is still under test in Switzerland. I’m afraid that she appears to be just posturing for popularity.

• Zurich is reportedly testing rubber inserts that will allow cycles, scooters and wheelchairs to cross tramlines without impeding the passage of the trams.

There is an interesting article from 2013 here:

It begins: “Actually, filling rails with a rubber profile is not a new thing. This measure has also been adopted in the Netherlands, often at train-tram intersections. A number of rail crossings in the Amsterdam harbour area, for example, were recently fitted with such rubber profiles. But according to Zürich public transport there have been no trials thus far demonstrating the durability of such a product over the long term.
        In the experimental stretch of rail, the rubber profile will be implemented over a length of 90 metres at a stop that that is being completely renovated. The extra costs for the bicycle-friendly filling are 334,000 Euros.”

And a short video (also from 2013) here:
        It is introduced thus: “One thing that super impressed me was during my three days in Zurich I saw no cyclists crash while navigating the omnipresent surface rails for the 15 tram lines that run all over Zurich. I was told by some there are certainly problems and crashes happen, but I saw some real pro rail riding behavior. I ended up capturing just a little bit for your consumption in this shortie.”

May I suggest that people look at this video to see why some cyclists should not be allowed on the roads never mind near tram tracks. You cyclists have eyes in your heads, use them!

• Richard Willan says:

Why does the ‘anti-cyclist’ lobby consider that it has the moral high-ground? Dangerous manoeuvres by careless and arrogant car drivers can be observed all the time.

• patrickratcliffe says:

You are absolutely right, Richard. Arrogant car drivers who believe road regulations do not apply to them (ask some who post here) are all too clearly visible, wherever you look. They cause huge danger to pedestrians, cyclists, other road users, and themselves. Cyclists ride on the pavement for speed and safety, putting pedestrians at risk, and thoughtless parents encourage their children or grandchildren to ride on pavements for safety?
        And the cycle goes on and on.
        Solution? Don’t really have a definitive answer, but more cameras on roads and around neighbourhoods, with much stronger enforcement of rules and regulations with graduated penalties according to ability to pay, or even penalty linked to the offence, may be a start.
        If people cannot be persuaded to be courteous to others, encourage them by a jolt to their pockets or their valuable time.

I assume Richard, that you consider me to be ‘anti-cyclist’, on dangerous ground there I’d say.

I notice that neither you, nor anyone else, has commented on the behaviour of the cyclist in the clip posted above. Let me make this clear, had the lady cut right across him and caused an accident or near miss I’d hope that he would have reported her to the police. Instead she indicated and turned left 25-30 metres ahead of him. So far in front that another car had got to, and gone past, the car park entrance before the cyclist got there and she was well inside.

Patrick, will you please enlighten us mere mortals on how YOU would include cyclists who flagrantly break the law and pedestrians who either knowingly or unknowingly put themselves and others at risk, within your words in paragraphs 2 and 3 of your post. You have posted several times about ‘Arrogant car drivers who believe road regulations do not apply to them’. Are there no arrogant pedestrians, cyclists or mobility scooter users in your world?

One last thing, being discourteous to other road users (in the context that I think you are using it – politeness) is not an offence. What is, is included here:-
        * Threatening behaviour.
        * Aggressive behaviour.
        * Verbally abusing others.
        * Verbal harassment.
        * Making obscene hand gestures.
        * Other.
        quote from:- http://www.roadsupervisors.net/eh.driving-offences.htm

Perhaps you care to reply. (:-)

4. Richard Willan says:

Ian – I’ve not commented on the clip because it reveals more about the individual cyclist and the Daily Mail rather than the key issue of cyclists’ safety.

…….but it does show a side that is all too prevalent in cyclists behaviour in general. Personally I’d love to see many, many more police on the roads to stamp down hard on this sort of behaviour from cyclists, motorists and pedestrians, and (more importantly) to clamp down on the deliberate law breaking from all users of the roads. There are many motorists who, imho, should have their licences revoked permanently and their vehicles removed and either crushed or sold on at market value, the proceeds to go towards the costs of policing the roads. Also, I would like to know why an automatic check of insurance or MOT isn’t carried out by the police when speed camera tickets are issued.

5. Ian,
    As I thought I’d said, I don’t have all the answers.
    I was always unhappy at the way some authorities used cameras as cash-cows, but more unhappy at the way their demise has caused a rise in law-breaking and anti-social behaviour (impoliteness, arrogance, discourtesy etc.). I thought I’d addressed the position of other users of the road and the pavement, by my reference to neighbourhood cameras, and it doesn’t really need saying that there are people who use all kinds of ways to get around, who behave in an arrogant way. It’s so obvious.
    I’ve observed and been the victim of all of your ‘offence’ categories, Difficult to punish and re-educate if you cannot identify them.
    But the lack of courtesy in my thoughts, is linked to an attitude of mind where some people seem to feel a sense of superiority, that basic courtesies to others are not THEIR responsibility – not indicating at a junction, driving too close to the vehicle in front, not giving the cyclist sufficient room, not putting on their lights in dusky weather, hogging the middle lane, just nicking over lights that are changing – to name a few.
    So, as a mere mortal, who lives in the real world, who drives, walks a bit, and doesn’t cycle or ride a motorcycle anymore, I’m simply stating what I observe outside my door every day.

Patrick, good morning. I completely agree with most of your comments re driving standards declining. However I notice that again the common failings of cyclists have been omitted, no lights, no audible warning generators, hogging the lane so that motorists cannot overtake in a manner that will keep the cyclist safe, riding through red lights and cursing people who dare to get in their way by crossing on a green.

I’m trying to say that it isn’t always the motorist at fault, but he/she mainly gets the blame for accidents.

• patrickratcliffe says:

Ian,
        I’ve taken some time to evaluate your latest comment.
        While I have observed many and various aggressive and inconsiderate manoeuvres from motorists, historically, recently and close to where I live and walk, I can honestly say that from your list of cyclists’ failings, the only one I can recall is an adolescent riding without lights.
        What that says about our various perceptions of our world, and who should or should not get the blame, I couldn’t possibly comment on.