Anna Soubry MP: Happy New Year (and Some Bits of News)‏

Hello again, a very Happy New Year and I hope you have had a lovely Christmas.

Along with hundreds of Toton resident’s I braced the chilly wind this afternoon and enjoyed the 25th Annual Duck Race. Age Concern have benefited from the high turnout and a special thank you to all the businesses who sponsored prizes. There’s a full list on the Toton Duck Race web site (details below).

Enjoy the rest of the festive season and with all good wishes as ever,

Anna

More details about the Toton Duck Race here>>

Arise Dame Susan Jowett!

20164After 40 years in teaching and having taken George Spencer Academy to an “outstanding” rating, Exec Head Susan Jowett has been honoured. Susan has been made a Dame in the New Honour’s List and she is a worthy recipient.

Tram Lines Danger to Cyclists

I am grateful that both BBC East Midlands Today and Central News covered my long running campaign to make Chilwell/High Road safe for cyclists. For almost two years I have been telling NET and the City Council that this stretch of the tram is dangerous given the high number of serious accidents when bicycle wheels have become stuck in a tram track. I very much hope that they will now make the road safe for cyclists either by using rubber inserts on the tram track or making the danger clear to cyclists so they dismount and use the pavement.

Kimberley Brewery Site Development Gets Go Ahead

20165I am very pleased that plans to develop the former brewery site in Kimberley have been given the go ahead. I had a very useful meeting with the owners and have offered my support to this important project which will provide homes on a brown field site. Securing finance for the development is a priority .

Forces in the Community Wins Funding

Forces in the Community's Rick Harrington

Forces in the Community’s Rick Harrington

I am delighted that the Beeston based charity Forces in the Community has some much needed funding from ABF The Soldiers Charity. Regular readers will know I am a firm believer in the work Forces in the Community does for veterans and their families – notably their mental health work. Last year Rick Harrington and his team supported over 400 veterans offering advice on housing, employment and welfare matters.

Support Forces in the Community here >>

What’s on in Broxtowe

Saturday 2 January

Dig in, Stapleford
10am till 12 noon
Where: Albany allotments, Pasture Road, Stapleford, NG9 8HZ.
What’s on: Come and help your local community allotment and learn new skills. Please click here to learn more about Dig In.

Saturday 9 January

Global Beeston Film
7.30pm
White Lion, Beeston
More details here

Trowell WI – evening of Rock and Roll
6:45pm till 11pm
Where: Trowell Parish Hall, Stapleford Road, Trowell, NG9 3QA.
What’s on: Featuring Ronnie and the Rockets, tickets cost £6, please bring your own food and refreshments. For further details please call 01159287051.

Anna Soubry MP
Barton House, 61 High Road, Chilwell, NG9 4AJ
0115 943 6507
anna.soubry.mp@parliament.uk
www.annasoubry.org.uk

This entry was posted in Updates from Politicians. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Anna Soubry MP: Happy New Year (and Some Bits of News)‏

“Tram Lines Danger to Cyclists”. I see that Anna wants something done about the tram lines on Chilwell Road that are a danger to cyclists. Perhaps ensuring that cyclists have good vision may help. The tram lines are highly visible to most people, even at night. Whilst I drive during the hours of darkness I can see the tracks using both the street lighting and the lights on my vehicle. Maybe fitting, and using, lights to bicycles (iaw Road Traffic Legislation) might help. Cyclists know that the tracks are there so not riding within the bounds of such knowledge and being involved in an accident is entirely their own fault.

There’ll probably be a few comments on this subject but it comes down to the indisputable fact that these tram lines should never have been allowed to run down a narrow road such as this.

Barry, the lines are there so, unfortunately for them, some people will just have to get over that fact. End of story. Have a good 2016. (:-x

• Barry Morrison says:

I’m not commenting so much on the tram lines as the mish mash of directions at The Hop Pole for cyclists.. Onto the pavement with pedestrians. Surely that’s asking for trouble.

3. Dr Allan Dodds says:

As a child growing up in Edinburgh the first thing that my father warned me about when he bought me my first bicycle was that one had to cross tram lines at a sharp angle otherwise the front wheel could jam in the rail, projecting the rider onto the road. All such common sense and simple factual knowledge seems to have vanished from our nanny society these days and re-education is evidently necessary.

Well said. I don’t understand why our MP blames the existence of blatently obvious tram tracks for cyclists’ inability to watch where they’re going and ride appropriately to the road conditions. Whatever happened to the Cycling Proficiency Test?

Well looking at some/lots of the driving I see today it seems to be totally ignored, along with the Highway Code and minimum driving standards.

4. Joan Wade says:

What does Anna think about the award given to Lynton Crosby for services to politics? Lynton is famed for introducing the “wedge strategy” and “below the radar campaigning” into Conservative election campaigns. This involves feeding into social and other media an issue (local or national) which is made to become divisive and is then stirred up. As a campaigner he favours the targeting of marginal constituencies like Broxtowe.

Interesting quote on the BBC web site “What Mr Crosby does best, according to one journalist who has watched him at close quarters, is “below the radar” campaigning. That is, the ruthless targeting of marginal constituencies with highly localised campaigning, latching on to local issues and personalities.”

Did we notice any attempt to stir up a local issue prior to the last election?