Rt Hon Anna Soubry MP – It’s that time of the year again …

Oct 24 1Anna Soubry writes: It is undoubtedly “that time of the year”. The clocks go back tonight, this year’s Poppy Appeal was launched at the Legion in Beeston last night, the diary is full of Bonfire Night events and dare I admit it? I have just bought some Christmas presents.
There is some important news on the future of our Green Belt and a few ‘lighter’ matters to report on so please read on.
As ever,   Anna

Broxtowe Business Club
Oct 24 2Thank you to everyone who came along on Thursday to the second meeting of Broxtowe Business Club. We met at The Victoria pub in Beeston to listen to Liz Fothergill CBE, President of the East Midlands Chamber of Commerce and enjoy a good question and answer session. The Business Club has got off to an excellent start with more events planned – please contact me me if you would like to join anna.soubry.mp@parliament.uk

News on Beeston Business Park
Beeston Business Park has been sold to an investment company called Bridges Ventures, in a deal worth £22 million. I am meeting the new owners to ensure the future of the development plan which includes improvements to the Trent Vale playing fields, hundreds of houses in the Rylands and a vibrant business park by the station.

We’re in it together?
I suspect you have not heard of plans to devolve substantial powers from Whitehall to a new ‘combined authority’ of all the city, county, borough and district councils in Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire.
I don’t think there is much doubt that allowing us to make decisions about skills training, economic growth and transport at a local level, is a good thing and the “devolution deal” being negotiated with Government will bring real economic benefit.

However, the plans are not without controversy. The idea is to create an elected Mayor to head up the combined authority and incorporate the roles of the Police and Crime Commissioners for both Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire.
I would be very interested in your views and you may find it helpful to read more about the plans on the Notts County Council web site. I discussed the plans in meetings with Broxtowe Council leader, Richard Jackson and City Council leader, Jon Collins.

Learn more about the devolution plans for Notts >>>

Toton’s future
Oct 24 3Residents throughout Toton are being consulted about the future of their Green Belt. Broxtowe Borough Council is writing to everyone in the area and I very much hope if you live in Toton you will join in the consultation.

I remain opposed to any houses on this Green Belt land and in favour of a world class business park to take full advantage of the growth HS2 will deliver. I am not in favour of that economic development taking all the fields!

Toton Councillor Mia Kee has an excellent blog which explains the consultation process and gives her views on the situation. I would urge Toton residents to read it (details below).

On Friday I had a good (and lively) meeting with TEPS, the Toton campaign group dedicated to protecting the areas Green Belt. As it happened they met Jon Collins, leader of Nottingham City Council who was early for his meeting with me! In short we had a very productive and informative discussion about the future of the Green Belt at Toton.

In my view I believe we can find a solution which will stop the planned houses on the land between the sidings and Stapleford Lane, secure a site for a business park and preserve a large amount of Green Belt which everyone can use and enjoy – a country park.

Because Broxtowe cannot change the housing target set by the last administration, the Council has to find alternative sites for a minimum of 500 houses. I don’t want those houses being built on Green Belt land in other parts of the constituency. I have asked Jon Collins for assistance from the City Council and the Borough Council is urgently looking for more brownfield sites including land at Chilwell Barracks (something I am pursuing with the Ministry of Defence).

Read Cllr Mia Kee’s blog >>>

Have your say about Toton’s future >>>

Operation Orphan – a charity to be proud of
Oct 24 4Brad and Cyrilyn Moore from Chilwell came to see me about their remarkable Attenborough based charity, Operation Orphan. They provide direct support to orphaned children throughout much of the world – whether it’s warm clothes or psychological help for victims of war and conflict. However, unlike a number of charities, their work continues throughout a child’s life until they reach 18. As you might imagine they are keen to help Syrian orphans coming to Nottinghamshire in the next year and I have agreed to support their work.

Find out more about Operation Orphan >>>

Kimberley Cemetery Chapel update
Oct 24 5Congratulations to the new leadership on Kimberley Town Council who are fulfilling their mandate to restore the Cemetery Chapel and abandon the former leaderships plans. Town and Borough Councillor Shane Easom tells me the floor has been replaced, the pews stripped and polished, quarry tiles replaced, new lighting is being installed and they hope to have replaced the windows by Christmas. A large amount of the work has been done by volunteers. Well done to all concerned.

Philippa relaunch success
Oct 24 6It was a real treat to open the re-vamped Double Image Photography on High Road, Beeston. The brilliant Philippa Double has battled on despite the tram works and her studios are now even better. Check her out and support a great local small business

Take a look at Double Image here >>>

Top House sunflower
Oct 24 7I took this photo a few weeks ago of the 11 foot sunflower at the rear of Bramcote’s White Lion (Top House). I know the Nottingham Post challenged anyone to beat the monster but can’t find any update. Can you assist or is this the tallest in Broxtowe this year?

What’s on in Broxtowe

Monday 26 October – Friday 30 October
Holiday Club – Beeston
9am till 4:30pm
Where: The Pearson Centre, Beeston, NG99 2NH.
What’s on: Full details here.

Monday 26 October – Friday 20 November
Broxtowe EnergyFest
What’s on: Full details here.

Tuesday 27 October
Energy saving event – Kimberley
7pm till 8:30pm
Where: Rumbletums, Victoria Street, Kimberley.
What’s on: For full details on this free event please click here.

Thursday 29 October
Autumn Years Friendship Group
10am till 2pm
Where: St Helen’s Church Hall, Frederick Road, Stapleford.
What’s on: Resource centre for the over-60’s full details on this weekly event here.

Super Kitchen
12 noon
Where: Washington Drive Community Centre, Stapleford.
What’s on: Full details here.

Saturday 31 October
Mind Body Spirit event
10am till 5pm
Where: The Royal British Legion, Beeston.
What’s on: There will be candles, crystals, jewellery, tarot cards, oils, soaps and much more.

Fireworks Extravaganza, SW Notts Scouts – Bramcote
17:30pm
Where: The Hemlock Scout Camp, Bramcote, NG9 4DT.
What’s on: Fireworks start at 19:30. Admission is £6 for adults and £3 for children on the gate.

Halloween Street Party – Bramcote Lane Shops
10am till 2pm
Where: Bramcote Lane Shops.
What’s on: Free face painting, bouncy castle, apple bobbing,food and may more spooky activities.

Halloween Party – Awsworth
5pm till 8pm
Where: Awsworth village Hall.
What’s on: Fancy dress competition, prizes and much more.

Fireworks Display – Attenborough
6pm
Where: Attenborough Village Green.
What’s on: Attenborough Cricket clubs annual display, food and a bar will be available. Admission is £4 for adults and £2.50 for children.

Craft Fair
10am till 12 noon
Where: Attenborough Village Hall.
What’s on: This is an annual event in aid of Christian Aid.

Monster Bash
7:30pm
Where: Beeston Victory Club.
What’s on: Northern Soul Halloween Special, fancy dress is optional.

Global Beeston – Beeston goes Underground
7:30 pm
Where – University of Nottingham, Portland Building
What’s on – Global Beeston is a unique program organized by the Beeston Film Festival where over 4 nights in 4 months, an evening of short films from Tasmania, Taiwan, Germany and East Midlands. Full details here.

Sunday 1 November
Annual Bereavement Service
10:45am
Where: St Michaels Church, Bramcote.
What’s on: All welcome please contact the church office for further details.

Wednesday 4 November
Attenborough CAT meeting
7pm
Where: Attenborough village Hall.

Thursday 5 November
Autumn Years Friendship Group
10am till 2pm
Where: St Helen’s Church Hall, Frederick Road, Stapleford.

Fireworks Extravaganza with Magic and Miracle Fireworks
6pm
Where: John Clifford School, Nether Street Beeston.

Beeston U3A meeting
6pm
Where: Chilwell Methodist Church.
What’s on: Jean Townsend will give a talk ‘The last laugh, an amusing look at Epitaphs’ Click here.

Bonfire Night – Kimberley
6:45pm
Where: Kimberley cricket Club.
What’s on: Full details here.

Friday 6 November
Beeston and District Civic Society visit to the Tram Control Room
10:30am
What’s on: Full details here.

Fireworks Spectacular!
6pm
Where: College House Junior School.
What’s on: Fantastic fireworks display set to music! Hot food, refreshments and lights up toys for sale.

Cabaret Show – Carry on Cabaret
6:30pm
Where: Royal British Legion, Beeston.
What’s on: Artist appearing are Tina Majors, Female Vocalist plus Brian Ruben James, Versatile compère.

Saturday 7 November
St Michaels Christmas Bazaar
10am
Where: St Michaels Church, Bramcote.

Poppy Stall – Beeston
10:30am till around 3:30pm
Where: Beeston Square.
What’s on: The RBL will have a their stall in the square, please go along to support.

Christmas Craft and Coffee morning
10am till 11:45am
Where: Scout Hall, 5 Middle Street, NG9 1GA.
What’s on: Stalls include; Christmas Crafts, Cakes, Gifts, home made jams and much more.

Bonfire Night – Beeston Marina
6:30pm
Where: Beeston Marina, Riverside Road, Beeston, NG9 1NA.
What’s on: Bonfire night with fireworks display, BBQ, hot and cold food, licensed bar and much more.

Fireworks Extravaganza!
6pm till 10pm
Where: George Spence Academy, NG9 7EW.
What’s on: Licensed bar, hot food, fairground rides, tombola and raffle. Further details here.

Sunday 8 November
Remembrance Sunday
What’s on: There will be services taking place all over the constituency; Awsworth, Beeston, Cossall, Greasley, Kimberley, Nuthall, Stapleford and Trowell. The Civic commemoration is in Beeston with a parade starting from the RBL to the War Memorial.

Anna Soubry MP
Barton House, 61 High Road, Chilwell, NG9 4AJ
0115 943 6507
anna.soubry.mp@parliament.uk

This entry was posted in Updates from Politicians. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Rt Hon Anna Soubry MP – It’s that time of the year again …

“The previous Lib Dem/Labour Council agreed to a minimum of 500 houses on the land by Toton Sidings and there are plans for 800 houses where is widely agreed, the HS2 hub will be sited.”

I have trawled thought the Council website and cannot see an application for 800 houses where the HS2 hub will go. What are these “plans” and who at the council knows about it?

Perhaps Anna would also like to confirm or otherwise that the subject of moving the Tram Park and Ride from Toton into the City has been discussed as an option to facilitate more houses.

“…………… moving the Tram Park and Ride from Toton into the City”. What a brilliant idea. Drive into town to park the car in the ‘Tram Park and Ride’ and catch a tram to …………….? (Nottingham perhaps).

Whoever thought of that needs either certifying, or shooting. Preferably the latter so that they don’t come up with more “good ideas”.

Moving the Tram Park and Ride from Toton into the City. Erm! Have I read that right or is it the early onset of dementia on my part?

If, and I repeat If, HS2 white elephant ever gets the go ahead.

5. stevebarber says:

Spin and twist which would make even Sir Humphrey blush.

6. Rufus Rattrey says:

Am I alone in finding it both sad and disturbing, that in our MP’s letter to her constituents, there is no mention at all about the tax credit debacle, or are people here so shut off from the plight of the working poor?

Doubt there will be many Labour people proud of the party today either.

• Rufus Rattrey says:

I would have thought that many Labour people would be holding their heads up high at the way their unelected representatives in the House of Peers stood up for the disenfranchised in our country last night.

8. Joan Wade says:

The Speaker of the House of Commons was quick to point out that there was no procedural irregularity in the decision taken in the Lords. The Conservatives have fought hard to preserve a second chamber based on privilege and patronage and can hardly complain now that this has backfired on them. On the issue of the tax credits itself whilst I am in favour of a move from taxpayer funded welfare towards shifting the burden onto employers it is disgraceful the way that the Conservatives have set about doing this. The working poor are being very hard hit by these sudden changes introduced without transitional relief. A loss of £3000 or £4000 or so per year is nothing to Bullingdon Club members who might pay this per head for a meal in a smashed up restaurant or burn piles of £50 notes in front of the homeless but to some people even perhaps some people in Bramcote it is a noticeable sum of money.

• Rufus Rattrey says:

Be a little gentle, Ms Wade, please. Some of the Tories with a conscience, are just a little bit embarrassed by the careless, thoughtless harshness of their current masters. Treat them with the same compassion that caring folk would show towards an errant child, and they will eventually learn the right way to behave.

9. Anna tells us that “Because Broxtowe cannot change the housing target set by the last administration, the Council has to find alternative sites for a minimum of 500 houses. ”

Things may not be as carved in stone as she suggests. The government planning guidance (Paragraph: 016 Reference ID: 2a-016-20150227) says “the Government’s official population and household projections are generally updated every two years to take account of the latest demographic trends”.

“Wherever possible, local needs assessments should be informed by the latest available information. The National Planning Policy Framework is clear that Local Plans should be kept up-to-date. A meaningful change in the housing situation should be considered in this context, but this does not automatically mean that housing assessments are rendered outdated every time new projections are issued.

The 2012-2037 Household Projections were published on 27 February 2015, and are the most up-to-date estimate of future household growth.”

Does anyone know if Broxtowe has reviewed its housing need in light of the projections published at the end of February? If so, was this done by the former Labour/ LibDem coalition in the final weeks of its time in office or under the auspices of the new Conservative controlled council? If the figures have not been reviewed, does anyone know when the Council plans to review them?

** http://planningguidance.planningportal.gov.uk/blog/guidance/housing-and-economic-development-needs-assessments/methodology-assessing-housing-need/

What did we do before 2000 when Gordon Brown started slinging taxpayers money about on tax credits.? People with families who were a bit pushed worked extra hours, or got a second job, or the wives or partners went out to work when the main wage earner came home..Then Gordon Brown introduced this vote catching, election winning scheme which persuaded employers not to pay a decent wage. Yes, I’ll agree that George Osborne’s bill could have been better thought out and transitionally applied but at the end of the day it’s got to stop and put an end to the dependency on welfare as a way of life.

I quite agree Barry. It has to be better all round for people to be paid a decent wage on which they can live, and if needs be, bring up a family. Notice I said decent wage not living wage. To be honest, I never did (or do) understand this Tax Credit system. Also I cannot see why some unemployed/low wage people are able to claim vast amounts of our money to be able to swan around spending it on holidays anywhere in the world. The people in all branches of welfare need to actually communicate with each other to prevent it. It’s no good really blaming Brown and Blair, without taking into account the actions of Thatcher and Major. What they ALL did is gone and their actions cannot be undone, as if it never happened.

Half the problem with tax credits is it’s like all other welfare benefits, it’s wide open to abuse and it’s well known that some have abused it, and still are doing so.

• Rufus Rattrey says:

I don’t think there are many, other than some who have grown up in a culture of dependency, who believe that work should pay more than benefits. I don’t think there are many, other than the warped minds of Daily Mail journalists writing apocryphal poison, who believe that many unemployed or low waged folk swan around the world at taxpayers’ expense.
      Sadly, what I read into recent comments, are contributors who are putting those in real need LAST – not seeing their genuine plight for what it is in human terms – and stressing the primacy of controlling taxpayer expenditure.
      I wonder when you last had to spend time moving from one temporary house to another, or had to sleep rough, or did not know where your next meal was coming from, or how you would care for your children. I hope, NEVER!
      But please spare a compassionate thought for them, and put the brutality of monetary control into warm human perspective.

Rufus, let’s take your first sentence first and delete the words between ‘other’ and ‘dependency’
    inclusive and we are left with ”I don’t think there are many who believe that work should pay more than benefits.” Please tell me I’ve read that wrong as it implies to me that people in work should’nt get more than those on benefits. I hope that’s not what you’re trying to say.
    My main pointer in my last post was about various government benefits being abused and we know it’s happening, on what sort of scale I’m not in a position to judge, but happening it is.
    As for your third sentence regarding sleeping rough, not knowing where the next meal is coming from, caring for children, etc. Yes, years ago it happened to me. So what did I do?.Got off me backside and did something about it. That’s what.

• Rufus Rattrey says:

Quite right, Mr Morrison. My error. “Benefits” and “work” have been misplaced. Thank you for pointing this out.
      As regards “sleeping rough”, and “not knowing when I’d eat again”, it happened to me too. Like you, I stood up and did something about it, and probably like you, I had role models to look up to, had the necessary inner drive to succeed, and was younger and stronger.
      But when I was down I met many who hadn’t EVER had good guidance, who’d had their spirit smashed by the callous system, and who’d been sneered at by people who took the attitude that everyone is capable of “getting off their rear and doing something about it”.
      What I want is for people who are blind to the human needs of others to try to learn how to hold out a warm and comforting hand to a fellow human being in need. That’s what!